Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Here I am again

We are still working on our Christmas decorations, but at least most of them are up and all of the lights work! For some reason I am having a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit this year. It just does not seem like it should be December all ready. I hardly have any Christmas shopping done and not a single thing wrapped. I don't really know what my problem is, but I wish I could just get into that "cozy-homey" Christmas feeling because that allows me to enjoy the holiday so much more. Not that I am not looking forward to Christmas, but it just doesn't "fee" right this year, not that what I am saying makes a whole lot of sense, but that is how I am feeling right now.

Jared ended up placing 3rd in bowling with a high score of 153, not too bad! He actually bowled over 160 one day, but it wasn't a league day so didn't count for a trophy…to bad! It is going to seem kind of empty next Monday since both bowling and Bible study ended yesterday. Bowling will start again in Feb. and Bible study will probably be starting about that same time too. Beth Moore has out a new study now on Psalm, and even though it is only a 7 week study compared to 10 week's which is her normal, it sounds like that is probably what we will be doing next.

Mark's Christmas party was very nice, but Saturday night we got a lot of bad weather. It kept going from snow to ice to rain, and you all know how bad that makes the driving conditions. We went ahead and went to the Christmas party and just took it slow. I was okay with that, but I was so nervous about Adam. First off, he had to drive home from work, and secondly, that evening they were having his Christmas party at one of the boss's home, where he had never been before. This is the first time he had really driven in the ice and going at night to a place where he wasn't familiar, well, I am sure you can understand why I was a little worried. I just kept praying for God to keep him safe. We are sitting at our party when I realize I have missed a call, so I ran out to listen to the message and I can't tell you how proud I am of Adam. I called home to talk to him and he decided since the roads were so bad, he wasn't even going to the party. {Praise God!} I felt bad that he had to miss his very first work related Christmas party, but I feel like he made a very mature decision to stay home. He actually started out, but only went a few blocks when he turned around and came back. The weather had gotten worse just in the hour from the time he got home to the time he left for the party. Thankfully, by the time we left to come home, even though the left side of our van was a sheet of ice, the majority of the roads weren't too bad and we made it home safe.

Julie Lininger called me today to say that things are real bad with her mom, Jean Springer. At the first call, it didn't sound like she was going to make it through the day, but it turned out that her body is simply shutting down and they feel like she may have a couple more day or as long as a couple of weeks. Jean has been ill for some time, years actually, and this has been so hard for all of them. Jean means so much to me as she is the one who first asked me to teach Sunday school for her when she and Myron went to Florida in the winter. I didn't think I was "cut out" to teach Sunday school, but she encouraged me and taught me so much. She saw something in me that I could not see, (and maybe never would have seen.) For a few years I just taught one quarter while she was away, and the rest of the time I was her assistant, helping out with crowd control and watching her teach. A few years ago, when Jean first started getting sick, she stepped down completely from teaching and I took over full time. She was an incredible Sunday school teacher and I hope that have been able to reflect some of that in my teaching. Julie asked me a couple of months ago if when Jean passed away if I would be willing to say something at her funeral. It definitely won't be an easy thing for me to do, but I want to be able to share with others what a positive Christian influence she was in my life. If it wasn't for Jean, I am sure I wouldn't be where I am today. Teaching Sunday school is a part of who I am, and even though there are weeks where I am sure I haven't done a very good job preparing, I just pray that I am being a positive influence on the little ones that I am teaching and helping them grow and learn more about Jesus each week.

No comments: